Recently I was mind blown to discover that little arrow symbol on most beauty products does not mean they are recyclable! I had been popping any black plastic bottles and plastic makeup waste in to the recycling box, not knowing they were most likely going to landfill instead, along with most of my recycling I had ‘contaminated’! I decided to start a little eco friendly journey to find alternatives that are much better for the environment and discovered a whole range of goodies, it’s so exciting!
It’s like discovering a whole new world, an actual sweet shop and there’s so much to try. It’s taking things back to over a hundred years ago packaging wise, which I absolutely love, all the little pretty decorated boxes and cases containing wonderful things inside and so satisfying to have on your beauty shelf. There is no plastic here at all, you can try all of these things guilt free!
I especially recommend swapping your brushes for these bamboo ones, they are so soft, strong and crazy beautiful! Plus supporting these sellers mean they have more resources to make more of these wonderful things and it will help integrate them in to daily society, helping to make that switch to plant power and compostable packaging, urging the bigger brands to up their game when it comes to making environmentally friendly products. From little pots of creme rouge, blush made from beets and rose and real fairytale makeup, here’s how to look stunning using eco friendly makeup and products…
1. Reusable makeup remover pads 👈🏻 the eco friendly way to clean your face! These are so handy, you simply pop them in with your laundry to clean them.
2. All natural konjac sponges 👈🏻 this sponge is made out of the vegetable fibres of konjac root and is completely natural and biodegradable, popular in Japan for centuries for newborn babies as it is so soft! It costs under £6 too.
3. Bamboo cotton buds 👈🏻 buy in a bunch of these, they are biodegradable so you can throw them away as normal and they will compost much more quickly than the plastic varieties, you can even pop them on your compost heap!
4. Bamboo hairbrush 👈🏻 the perfect eco friendly hairbrush, completely biodegradable and compostable!
Creating a gorgeous face
5. Perfecting cream full coverage concealer 👈🏻 Benefit boi-ing concealer dupe right here! There are lots of shades to choose from, this is only one of them. This concealer is all natural and promises to be extra creamy and offer full coverage to ‘spot treat’ (like popping plasters on) any areas we want to conceal.
6. Foundation and concealer stick 👈🏻 this mineral makeup stick is perfect to use as a foundation or concealer, or choose a darker shade to use as a contour stick, adding extra dimension to the face.
7. Organic cream bronzer 👈🏻 perfect to use to create a natural tanned, sunkissed look, while blending beautifully in to the skin.
8. Skin perfecting, blurring setting powder 👈🏻 to give your skin that gorgeous airbrushed finish and to set the makeup to last all day, plus it’s super breathable and kind to the skin with silk powder, arrowroot powder and pink clay. Just dust it gently under the eyes and around the face to create a velvety, ‘filter’ like texture.
Actual fairytale face treats
9. Foraged Fields natural plant based blush 👈🏻 an absolutely magical blush, with gorgeous packaging, made from things you might find growing in a storybook garden! These give the most beautiful and natural of all flush of colour.
10. Zero waste blush with beets and hibiscus 👈🏻 another wonderful plant based blush, such a pretty English rose shade, made from beets and hibiscus to give the face a beautiful flush of colour.
11. Thieves oil balm 👈🏻 sometimes known as four thieves balm, this is based on a centuries old legend where four notorious thieves, who were also spice merchants, miraculously never contracted the highly infectious bubonic plague at the time and were forced in to exposing their secret blend of herbs and oils in return for their freedom from capture. It is a multipurpose balm or salve, to be used for any health complaint, from insect stings to toe nail fungus, and to soothe and protect the individual.
12. Organic calendula flower restorative night cream 👈🏻 speeds up the healing process of tiny wounds and helps with skin restoration and eczema, the dreamiest floral infused overnight cream to apply before bed to hydrate and beautify the skin.
The perfect brushes
13. Eyeliner slanted bamboo makeup brush 👈🏻 perfect to use as a brow brush or for creating a chic liner wing, it has a special slanted tip for extra precision. Start at the outer corner and gently carve out a triangular wing, then use your finger to smudge it out upwards towards the brow. I absolutely love how Kate Hutchins does this with her angled brush, it looks absolutely beautiful!
14. Eyeshadow blend bamboo makeup brush 👈🏻 all of these brushes I linked are made from recycled aluminium and sustainably sourced bamboo! This brush is perfect for blending out makeup.
15. Bamboo kabuki buffing brush 👈🏻 the bigger version of my little miniature kabuki brush! Super soft and perfect for using on the face or body.
16. Vegan contouring brush 👈🏻 these brushes are so affordable too and built to last for a long time. When ready to be thrown away, they can be recycled again!
Quirky and novelty body care products
17. Watermelon bubble crumble 👈🏻 for an extra bubbly bath that smells like watermelon! This is just like Lush’s bubble bars, only it comes in crumble form and you get more of it. It comes in a lovely big tub, that partially looks like ice cream!
18. Vanilla ice cream lip balm 👈🏻 a wonderful delicious tasting eco friendly lip balm with cardboard compostable packaging, I want to try this so badly! There are also other flavours like orange juice, lemon and lime, elderflower champagne, so much happiness in one lipbalm!
19. Cinnamon lip gloss 👈🏻 this delicious cinnamon lip gloss acts as a natural lip plumper and is made from totally natural ingredients, plus the rollerball bottle is refillable and can be sent back to be refilled! This seller has so many lovely lip balms for sale in cardboard compostable packaging, do check them out!
20. Pure zero waste unfragranced lipbalm 👈🏻 this makes the perfect zero waste treat or gift! It is the perfect solution to chapped lips, a rich and velvety, ultra moisturising balm, plus some of the proceeds go towards environmental cause charities. It lasts an amazing amount of time so you’ll never have to keep reapplying and you can also use it to strengthen your cuticles and nail bed to grow healthy strong nails. It has a gentle chocolatey scent, due to the high cocoa seed butter content mmm.
What did you think of these? There’s so much to try in the world of eco friendly beauty, plus helping small eco friendly sellers and businesses thrive is a wonderful way to give back to the planet as every purchase means more popularity and means more eyes on environmentally friendly makeup products. Every small purchase helps to give those sellers more resources and everything they need to succeed! Buying makeup can become an act of self love for the planet alongside ourselves! ♡
Posts on www.icecreamandclara.co.uk contain affiliate links. For full disclosure, click HERE