Here is how to be elegant and sophisticated, tips on how to dress elegant and classy! The UK weather in winter is messy at the best of times, I thought I would compose a little post on how to keep your look perfectly preserved through cold and rainy, or hot and humid weather, wherever you are in the world. Here is how to dress elegantly, make your makeup or hairstyle last all day – and some elegant makeup tips to be elegant on a budget!
How do you get an elegant personality?
Being kind and keeping to your values are excellent ways to have an elegant personality! Helping others whenever we can and seeking to make them comfortable in all situations, be welcoming by offering them little presents like a stick of gum, an extra biscuit you brought with you, a tissue or positive mantras to brighten their day. The little things are the best!
We can also inspire others through our dress sense and planning ahead means we can learn to be an expert at maintaining our look in all situations. Always seek out education wherever you can, always look to learn something new. We can also try out formal occasions, like real life balls, and visit beautiful and elegant locations to inspire us. These are great ways to practise elegant living everyday!
How can I increase my elegance?
Try creating a moodboard of everything elegant that inspires you, everything about how to live a classy lifestyle, plus visit glamorous and beautiful locations such as elegant houses that are open to visitors, galleries, museums, statues, parks and fountains. Learn how to dress elegantly casual at home. Read stories of people and historical figures, put together a little book of famous tips with elegant and classy quotes. This is also an amazing chance to practise your handwriting and make it super fancy! Another lovely thing to do is to collect lots of elegant and girly packaging and flatten it to put it in frames around your room.
How can I be sophisticated and elegant?
Cater your wardrobe to however it is like where you live, make it super relevant to the weather and location, tie your wardrobe to it as much as you can! Every location has its own little dress code – for example, in cities people are more used to seeing more dramatic pieces, they are more commonplace than in more rural communities and towns – it’s good to use this code and really take advantage of it, squeeze it for all its worth! Centre your style around it. This means you will always look put together as you are kitted out for your area. In the countryside it can be all about creating a cute look around wellies and coats, in the city it can be about more dressy attire!
1. Try a hair styling primer! Work it through your hair before blow drying. It cleverly helps to give your hair extra hold and style memory. Even if your hair gets blown about, you can brush it through and it will return to the same shape, style and hold. The Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil is absolutely insane for looking glossy and put together whatever the weather, it is the best investment I ever made and just £12!
2. Waterproof your face – use some waterproof makeup! Choose a waterproof mascara, the Too Faced Better than Sex Waterproof mascara is so good (only £8.50 here!), or try a clear mascara on rainy days, it will beautifully define and curl your lashes and you won’t have to worry about any dark smudges either!
A waterproof eyeliner is so handy, I really recommend the Too Faced liners as they are completely smudge proof, for me anyways. The Sketchmarkers range lasts for days but their Easy Glide Waterproof one is just insane and the best I’ve tried so far.
3. A strong and sturdy umbrella – choose one that is mushroom/dome shaped for full body protection, that can fight through the wind as well, as the wind cannot get underneath it to lift it inside out. A clear plastic see through one is perfect because people can still see your look but you can remain nice and protected from the elements.
4. Use that super strong hair gel teenage boys love – it’s only about £2 or £3 in supermarkets and drugstores everywhere and even though it might be something that teenage boys use to spike their hair up, it is absolutely perfect as a brow gel, for grooming brows upwards and keeping them in place and taming fly away pieces of hair. You can pin any bits of hair back and they will seriously stay there all day.
5. Use a makeup primer – to create a gorgeous base to put your makeup on and to help lock your makeup down and keep it in place all day.
6. Wear a braid – humidity can work in your favour, it can make the braid look extra full and more voluptuous, meaning you can lean in to the weather and have it benefit your style. Plus, the flyaway pieces and baby hairs look intentional and naturally pretty!
7. Use a setting spray – these are genius for keeping your makeup in place and shielding your makeup from the weather. There are all kinds out there with matte and dewy finishes; after applying your makeup just hold it at arms length and spray generously in a ‘t’ formation all over the face.
8. Perfectly set makeup as your second skin – coat a sponge generously in setting spray and gently dab it all over areas of the face where makeup tends to crease. This will stop makeup gathering in fine lines and moving about on your face. It will ensure makeup remains evenly distributed about your skin, that it stays in place all day.
9. Smooth hair with a dab of oil – take a mini with you to smooth down the cuticles on the ends and use a wide toothed comb to make it look glossy and styled, instead of a brush that tends to create more frizz.
10. Use hairspray differently – mist it generously over your hairbrush before brushing your hair. Run it through the lengths, ensuring every strand is coated. It will help to coat your hair with an invisible film, creating a barrier between your hair and the humidity and moisture and preventing it from going frizzy.
11. Stick your highlight in place – use a little dab of coconut oil – to get your highlight to stick and stay for much longer. It acts as a sticky layer for the highlight to sit on top of, so it will stay all day and not brush off so easy.
12. Lipstain instead of lipstick – a highly pigmented lipstain in a strong shade will mean you can add as much colour as you like and it will stay on and not transfer. You can even brush off or clean away the excess top coat so you can be sure it won’t transfer in the messy weather. You can also apply a nourishing coat of lip balm over the top if needed! I like to dab a bit on my cheeks to add colour that stays on all through the day and doesn’t slowly wean away like other blushes.
Thanks so much for reading ♡ I hope you are managing to brave the crazy weather wherever you are.
Posts on www.icecreamandclara.co.uk often contain affiliate links. For full disclosure, click HERE