I’ve read a lot about making a self care kit and wanted to try it for myself. I wanted it to be functional and space saving for on the go, I love the idea of having a ‘safety kit’, full of pick me ups and things for every situation – things to fight a hard day. It can be handy when you are having a bad day to have a bag full of nice little necessities or pick me ups. These are just little things to make you happy, there doesn’t have to be any great meaning behind them, or there can be, it’s really up to you!
Introducing… new adorable bow bag! I got this really cute Yoki bag off ASOS, it was reduced to £15 in the sale from £46. Small, I know, but I think having a miniature size bag is so cute. The bow design is so quirky. Do snap it up quickly if you like it, it’s even prettier in real life and gorgeous for spring!
Here are some ideas of what to put in your ‘on the go’ self care kit, what to pack in your school bag or what to take with you to work to get you through the day. I love how these don’t take up much space either, you can even pop them in your coat pocket or purse if you don’t have a bag with you.
This kit is designed to be your friend who always has everything, has got your back when you need it the most. Self care is often associated with easing symptoms of mental illness, but this post is pure ‘fluffy bunny’ content, it does not seek or intend to provide treatment for any form of mental illness.
1. Scrunchie or hair tie – for the times you need to get the hair out of your face, why not treat yourself to a pretty hair tie. A larger elastic hair/headband is even better as you can use it in various different ways to create different styles, it’s much more versatile. I got my scrunchie here from ASOS, I think it’s very 60’s, plus I will never lose it like I do my bobbles and I can channel Friends vibes.
2. Novelty earphones – a very cool and clever talking point for if you ever get stuck for conversation! Novelty things make me happy. You can find all kinds of cute ones these days like hamburgers, unicorns, cute animals, emojis… you name it! You can also get those novelty animal cable chompers or munchers that work to protect your cable and reduce wear and tear on the cord where it tends to flex when you are charging your device. I want to collect all of the animals, so cute!
3. Favourite lip balm or multipurpose salve – nourish your skin on the go with a delicious smelling balm or salve. Flavoured or edible scented lip balm can even help to curb sugar cravings while soothing chapped lips. Switch up your hand creams, experiment with different scented-unscented salves and multipurpose balms and massage in throughout the day for super soft skin!
4. Squishy – often assumed as a kids toy, many people find it calming to have something to knead or squeeze, or occupy the hands like a stress relief toy, when they are restless. Squishies are really perfect for this and you can get them in all shapes, sizes, adorable characters and desserts. The fact that it’s realistic like a doughnut makes me happy, I love Sammy the Patissier squishies.
5. Body mist or perfume – rollerball perfume is nice as you can give yourself a little massage. A body mist can feel lovely and refreshing in summer. They say that perfume is the key to our memories, recreating a good memory around you with a particular scent. A favourite scent can take you back to another time, soothe or energise you, as well as making you feel more confident body wise.
6. Notebook – for jotting anything down, if you want to offload, work something out or make a checklist or shopping list. A notebook can be so useful in daily life, there are endless possibilities!
7. Cute straws – this seems random but popping a straw in your fizzy drinks will help protect your teeth. Extra points for cute stripey or patterned straws, little things that brighten your day. Chuck these in with your next Etsy order… cute stripe and heart pattern straws, pretty blossom straws, adorable ‘tea party’ straws, black and white spot straws and pink milk stripey straws
8. Cute stationery – why opt for a normal HB pencil when you can keep adorably decorated pastel pencils in your bag? Haha buying cute stationery definitely appeals to the five year old within me. There are tons on tons of designs to choose from and I love the intricately decorated Japanese character designs, San X characters like Rilakkuma and Mamegoma seals as well as brands like QLia and Sanrio and their cute characters. You can buy them on ebay and places like Modes4u and Blippo.
9. Sunglasses – to hide behind and in case you need to nap undetected haha! There is a sense of safety that comes with wearing sunglasses, they are so useful when you just want to blend in to the background or when everything is so bright and overwhelming outside. For me they are like a protective bubble or little safety net. I love that they are lightweight and easy to slip in your bag.
10. Phone – the world at your fingertips… take some time to find your favourite apps and games that are pure fun and can help you to disconnect and unwind for a while. You can squeeze in even five minutes of ‘me time’ while waiting for a bus! An alternative for old souls is an amazing book to read.
11. Mini hairbrush – Tangle Angel do really adorable miniature hairbrushes that don’t take up any space in your bag, they come as keychains too so you can even fix it to your keys. You can even get mini hairbrush and mirror sets like this ASOS one in the sale, it’s a two-in-one to save extra space!
12. Your favourite tea or drink making kit – like those Robinsons concentrated squash capsule bottle things! Pack things to make your favourite drink on the go.
13. Fold up a small tote bag – to take with you in case you end up with a lot to carry or decide to go shopping, there are endless possibilities! I really love the cute designs from Forever21.
14. Paracetamol or any medication if you need it – to help nurse a headache or in case of indigestion, hayfever relief, a back up for if you need it.
15. Plasters – for blisters, cuts and sores. Lifesavers when it comes to shoes that rub!
16. Tissues and toiletries – unfussy items like this can prove to be the most valuable to keep in your bag. They afford you the extra confidence of knowing you have everything you need with you and being prepared for every eventuality – also come and see my daily girly confidence tips!
17. Face mist – when you cannot embark on a full at home facial or face mask, a facial mist can nourish your skin, refresh your face and be the nicest thing. I am longing to try the Roses + Love beauty mist, full of natural skin beautifiers and sacred flower essences, it sounds gorgeous.
18. Keep snaps in your wallet – nowadays we usually keep our photos stored on our devices and they often get buried on there, we don’t see them very often. I really love the idea of customising the inside of your bag or wallet like they do for lockers in movies and tv shows. Print and keep photos in your wallet or purse, little snippets of articles, print out affirmations, keep crystals and cards in there. You could even use a bag organiser to keep everything neat, pretty and in its place.
If you are anything like me you will forget you had them in there and have a nice surprise haha. Adding Easter egg chocolate is optional. You could even gift your future self a tenner. What’s in your bag right now? I’m nosy, I love ‘what’s in my bag’ posts haha! Let me know in the comments below ♡
All content is my own. This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure, click HERE.