Here are the perfect ingredients for the perfect lazy day and how to make your day off last longer. When you work so hard, a lazy day is the most beautiful feeling ever. This is written straight from the heart, I spend so much time crawling around the house on my hands and knees through tiredness, I can’t describe the bliss when I get to spend a day at my own pace and take everything s l o w. Here are some chill out girly ways to spend your day off, how to make the relaxing last longer…
1. Day off-eve – use the coming down of the day to kick back, relax, enjoy freedom. By treating this as part of your day off, it gives you more time to enjoy it. You could spend the whole night in the bath, sleep through the evening or stay up all night, spooning marshmallow fluff, no limits!
2. Be spontaneous – when you shake up your routine and try something new, your brain pays more attention to the details and the way you process time changes, time seems to last longer. 6am hikes are definitely optional, I prefer to opt for lovely and gentle things like watching the sunrise, going for toasted waffles for brunch, randomly tidying a drawer, totally deviating from your normal chores, you could even organise a spontaneous sleepover or go to enjoy dinner and stay over at a loved ones house. Any random or spontaneous thing, no matter how small, will inject a lot of fun.
3. Ice cream for breakfast – enjoy pure indulgence, with a healthy twist. Eat breakfast like a king and enjoy every spoonful. Add strawberries to ice cream, eat a beautiful fruit salad full of peaches, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries on waffles. Try greek yoghurt with honey, waffles, french toast, a lovely little banquet. Instead of taking things away and restricting yourself foods, add pretty things to your diet, try lovely combinations, listen to your body and what it wants.
4. Make a guilt free mug cake, in a really cute mug – a cake in your favourite mug, a whole other reason to form a collection of cute ones in your cupboard. Here is all you need to make a healthy mug cake…
5. Mindfulness, pay attention to the details – a great way to rest is just to let go and relax everything in your body – even flopped back on your bed – give yourself time to digest everything in the week and once that’s gone down, to pay attention to the details around you. Stretch and turn your attention to the feeling in every limb, each part of your body, take it s l o w. Stay there for as long as you need, this is a great opportunity to pay attention to the present moment. I like to cast my eyes around my room and look at all the things that bring me joy.
6. Feng Shui your home – I love to think it’s like looking after, taking care of your home and get the healthy energies flowing. Plus it’s a much more fun and spontaneous way to tackle chores, if you are focused on making the room feel better, you will hardly notice cleaning and tidying and feel a passion to embark on tasks you would normally put off, like painting the radiators or ornaments. It becomes so much more fun and satisfying too, for me it is so therapeutic!
7. Plant some vegetables – have some little plants to nurture, especially if they give you something lovely as a reward, like flowers for your home, or fruit or vegetables to nourish yourself with vitamins, or something to gift others. It’s so satisfying and a lovely, gentle activity too.
8. Purchase some stickers – they are often affordable so you can get loads! – I often like to buy from small businesses, especially ones I find on instagram as they are so cute and unique. I don’t mind if I don’t use them, I love collecting them to sort and look at, maybe an odd one in my diary haha. It can be so therapeutic decorating your stationery, diary and notes with them.
9. Wax melts – even when I can’t move there are things I can still enjoy and surround myself with. I can just breathe in the delicious smelling scents and that in itself is a huge blessing.
10. Leave your expectations at the door – probably my favourite and most important tip, discard your expectations for a lazy day! If you didn’t do a single one of these, that’s awesome, that’s the fun of it! Instagram paints a picture of the things we should have time for, extravagant things we should be doing and making an effort for, when picture perfect setups often take a whole day to organise and put together just for that snap. I think simple things possess so much joy, you don’t need anything fancy, it’s fun going makeup free and throwing caution to the wind, bringing your duvet downstairs, burying yourself in 2748 cushions, you really can’t go wrong.
11. Pet some puppies – why not fill your day off with cute animals? I am biased towards gerbils as usual, the little furry funny faces cheer me up and make me so happy seeing them making their little nests haha. Pets at Home often have special petting days and hours, ours is on a Sunday.
Never feel guilty for taking a lovely break, or for sleeping through it all. Listen to your body and take it from there. Sometimes you just need to binge watch telly and it feels amazing. And sleeping helps your body to repair itself, it is only through sleeping that essential proteins can be created for the immune system. Banking some extra sleep will also help to see you through the busy week. Never doubt the benefits a lazy day has on your body, it does amazing things for us. The things we think of as not worthwhile or as wasting time are really so important, they can colour whole hours and days, they can do so much below the surface we don’t even realise. How do you love to chill out? ♡