Here are my tips for making a Marie Antoinette inspired relaxing pamper routine, that will work for the smallest of budgets, things that will make every evening feel like a pyjama party. I really loved making 12 princessy things to do in your pyjamas, so here are some ingredients for an enchanted night in, to do anywhere, even in your friend’s shower or sofa. Here are some things that will enhance your night routine, make a space feel like a little retreat, and add a little extravagance and luxury to every day life…
1. Use floral scented products in your routine. The Queen adored most ardently orange blossom, but also doted on floral fragrances, oils, potpourris like rose, violet, lavender, jasmine, lily, cloves and also the silk sweet innocence of vanilla. The rose range from The Body
Shop here is perfect for this. I love checking out affordable offerings in my local supermarket or drugstores, you can find foamy bath soaks and silky bath oils that feel amazing. I absolutely love treaclemoon, radox and the I love… ranges here in the UK.
2. Add skin soothing sweet almonds, pine nuts or linseed to your bath for exfoliation, for super soft skin. The key to angel skin is to exfoliate, exfoliate, ex-fo-li-ate. My favourite scrub is Soap and Glory’s Breakfast Scrub, but you can also combine ingredients like brown sugar, coconut or olive oil together, a drop of vanilla essence to make something so similar!
3. Invest in a Turkish cotton bath towel – they are said to be goddess like but are more affordable than Egyptian cotton, the joy of hotel room towels but without the hefty price tag.
4. Dress the body in almond oil, maybe the Almond Supple Skin Oil by L’Occitane. Almond was popular with the queen, every night she is said to have worn gloves filled or lined with wax, rose water and sweet almond oil to keep her hands soft. Another lovely ritual is to dress the nails with a strengthener, prime and/or polish with pretty sheer or pastel shades.
5. Choose something light and flowy to wear, something relaxed you can swan about in. Marie Antoinette was reknowned for rebelling against the heavy dress code of the time and often rejected the opulence, and tight corsets in favour of pretty pastels and light, sheer, comfy and chemise like garments. I’ve popped in some of my favourite lace and ethereal pieces and am thinking about putting together a wishlist of Marie Antoinette style daywear – let me know if you’d like to see!
6. According to records, her signature face mask consisted of four ingredients, two teaspoons of cognac, one egg white, one third of a cup of powdered milk and the juice of one lemon simply blended in to a paste. This is still used today, the citric and lactic acid dissolve dead skin cells, tighten pores, the cognac stimulates circulation and the egg repairs skin tissue. A powdered almond milk is a wonderful alternative to regular milk and you can even add a little vanilla essence.
7. A silken pillowcase is often considered the epitome of luxury whilst sleeping. There is also the silk eye mask, both of which are known to be beneficial for the skin and to treat any signs of aging. Treat dressing for bed as dressing for an occasion, deck even the tiniest space out with your freshest sheets, fresh and sweet scented fabrics, lots of pillows, candles nearby, lots of lovely fresh flowers – even flower petals to be extra extra. Just be sure to put any candles out before bed!
8. Make and sip some Jasmine tea and enjoy beautiful desserts, choose special marzipan delicacies or M&S macarons
my fave, perhaps from a bakery or cafe in your town, cake shop, fruit market or even some pastries that you have made yourself.
Maybe a slice of apple or rhubarb pie, depending on the season, eaten with a fork. Sometimes I dream about living in the city and just casually popping in to Laduree for a bag of macarons… or a box of Krispy Kremes! Choose special, beautiful, unusual desserts that delight the eyes as well as the tastebuds. The secret is to surround yourself with items that evoke joy within each of the senses.
9. The queen used liquid based remedies, lotions and potions as part of her beauty routine. Now our modern ones are even more beautiful and advanced, such as specially formulated rose water sprays. Keep at your bedside to refresh, moisturise and even the complexion, plus smell delicious!
10. Light candles for added effect. One would have dressed, undressed and bathed their face by candlelight, recreating that soft ambience can make you feel comfy, calm and soothed. An amazing alternative is to use fairy lights and LED candles, they are much safer if you are ever to nod off straight away or have small children or animals around, plus no smoke or soot marks, voila!
A modern mini Marie Antoinette evening is never complete without watching the film with a bowl of marshmallows! PS The Duchess is currently free to watch on iPlayer too. I really hope you enjoyed this little guide or set of tips. I feel like incorporating any of these in to your routine will infuse a little luxe and fun in to every day life. Do you have a favourite historical drama? Let me know! ♡