I feel so sad LoveFilm is going, it has come to be an essential part of my enchanted movie nights. The kind where you have pumpkin sage candles burning, ice cream on hand and your duvet with you, all ready to slip in
to a new adventure. That feeling of ultimate excitement when you find your next movie in the post! There’s something about autumn that compels me to look beyond my usual historical documentary or Jessica Jones and curl up watching the most chilling film imaginable
well, almost with a blackberry bear biscuit or two.
Thankfully Cinema Paradiso are carrying on right from where LoveFilm left off, with a very similar DVD rental service: just choose the deal that suits you (whether you want to take one, two or three out at a time), choose your films, wait for them to arrive, watch them and then send them back again. I’ve put together some enchanting evening essentials, to give you some ideas for your next treat night, plus some of my favourite movies and recommendations, so many of which are exclusively found on Cinema Paradiso!
1. Tess of the D’Urbervilles, Cinema Paradiso – I’d love to watch this, I have wanted to see this film for so long! Bonus that it stars the beautiful Gemma Arterton, and is based on the 1892 novel by Thomas Hardy.
2. Rosemary Quince candle, TK Maxx – Rosemary is a beautiful herb to use in your cooking and around the home in autumn time and especially around Halloween. It has traditionally been used as a symbol of protection and also means remembrance. I’m loving autumn candles from Tk Maxx at the moment, they have so many!
3. The Awakening, Cinema Paradiso – This is one of my favourite horror films, I adore the setting and Rebecca Hall is such a great actress. It’s an atmospheric and powerful film, similar to another favourite, The Others. There are some really chilling moments and every time I watch I still have to look away haha.
4. Colour Block knit socks, Accessorize – These look so cosy and toasty and I love the colour block design. They remind me of neopolitan ice cream, so cute and matching the pastels in my wardrobe.
5. Snow White, Cinema Paradiso – I’ve probably mentioned this before but this is my favourite Snow White film, it’s such a beautiful take on the Brothers’ Grimm tale. Kristen Kreuk is the perfect Snow White and it’s such a magical movie, it instantly transports you to a different land. I could watch this over and over.
6. Lights Out, Cinema Paradiso – This film had me gripped til the end, there’s hardly a moment when you’re not hiding behind the sofa. It’s such a great concept and seriously creepy, a must watch for the spooky season!
7. Chocolate Marshmallows, Hotel Chocolat – These look amazing. I have a weakness for marshmallows and these are chocolate covered. I’m pretty sure buying these would be dangerous, I’d finish them far too quickly!
8. Victoria series, Cinema Paradiso – Wahhh I can watch Victoria! I managed to miss the entirety of the second season (so far? Is it still going on?) due to not having any TV channels because of moving. This is my favourite autumn series, it’s so aesthetically pleasing and I end up watching every episode about twice, to take everything in haha. I also like the idea of renting out a series as they last me a lot longer than a film.
9. Goth Fairy, Lush – The Lush Halloween releases are perfect for autumn evenings. I really want to try this cute little fairy massage bar, it looks and sounds so dreamy and the little pumpkin bubble bars are adorable.
10. Wuthering Heights, Cinema Paradiso – I felt so happy when I saw they had this edition. There are so many different versions of Wuthering Heights but this one is my favourite, I just love the characters. Based on Bronte’s novel, I hadn’t been able to find it anywhere, plus it has Tom Hardy with long hair *breathes*.
11. Audrey gloves, Cream – These gloves exude total forest girl vibes. Not that you’d be wearing gloves watching a film
unless they were these of course. Just imagine coming in from the cold, hoarding firewood, wearing these babies and putting them by the fireside to dry. They look so cosy and warm.
12. Jelly face masks, Lush – I’m longing to give these a try and prepared to risk my skin doing it! I’ve heard so many good things, especially about Bunny Moon for sensitive skin, I’m eager to try a few out.
Just the thought of getting home and having my movies to watch makes me so happy haha. And with a free trial available, free delivery and the chance to keep each disk as long as you wish, you have the perfect excuse to see Moana, Wonder Woman, Annabelle: the Creation, Guardians of the Galaxy, LalaLand or any film you accidentally missed at the cinema. Definitely worth a bookmark. Let me know your movie night essentials! ♡